Wednesday, December 19, 2012

My reason to celebrate and marvel this season

This has been a very dark time.  This country is suffering from a tragedy.  I have yet to read or hear anything that can 'make sense' of what happened to those women and children in Connecticut.

My eldest daughter was asking me this week about the story of Jesus, and about how it relates to the tree, gifts, and Santa. I told her the two were conflated long ago, and that the tree, and Santa both have their roots in winter solstice celebrations.  The message, I told her, is that even in the darkest times, human beings can create joy, giving, and light.

Even in the darkest times, human beings can create joy, giving, and light. I believe this is true, and it is a truth about us that is miraculous.  When the worst has happened, humans look for something to be grateful for, and for a reason to find joy. I've read statements from parents who lost their children last week in which they expressed gratitude for having known their beloved child.

This Christmas, my family will be talking and thinking about Jesus and his story.  We will simultaneously be celebrating the miracle of humanity, and the gift of the human spirit.

Happy Holidays, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment