Tuesday, January 8, 2013

BUSY at dinnertime/homework time


Homework Helper

It is busy during homework time.  I’m trying to cook dinner, the baby needs to be fed, and three children are all at the table, shouting out homework questions at me.  Seriously, it feels like I’m juggling flaming batons and someone is giving me a pop-quiz on everything I learned in 5th grade.  It is VERY hard for me to remain calm, constructive, and in the moment.  My brain just feels like it is going to pop!  (I’m sure I’ve even said that aloud a time or two.  Ok, a million times. Like every night.)

So I’m trying a new system to keep the demands on me during that time of day more reasonable, and to keep the pace of everything more manageable: 

1)   First of all, my husband and I are cooking more on Sundays – doing the lion’s-share of the prep-work so I only have reheating to do each night.
2)   Secondly, I bought three stones with words engraved on them.  One says ‘happiness’, one says ‘courage’, and one says ‘peace’.  I put them on a small wooden tray in the middle of the table while I prepare dinner.  If someone needs help with homework, they are not allowed to shout out their question.  They take a stone and say, “Homework Helper!” Then they wait until I come to the table.  While they wait, they hold the stone and think of a time during that day or week when they experienced the word on the rock.  When I come help, I put the stone back on the tray and they have the opportunity to tell me about their thoughts.  Then I help them with their homework question.  It SLOOOOWWWED the pace WAY down in the kitchen, and made us all a little quieter, and a little more reflective.

I hope this system continues to be useful.  Some ideas are great, and some ideas are unsustainable.  I really hope this one works long-term, as I would love to remain calm during that very busy time of day.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea. The kids say the most amazing things. I love it.

    ReplyDelete