Thursday, June 21, 2012

Infant - first 8 weeks!

During my pregnancy, I kept trying to remember what I actually needed for a new baby.  I thought I would take a moment and summarize what I have actually used during these first 8 weeks with little George.



1) A place to sleep:

We have the fisher-price snuggabunny sleeper next to our bed.  When George was brand new, we could set him down in this sleeper, all swaddled, and he stayed asleep.  I imagine he hardly noticed having been put down.  Also, it rocks, so after nursing at night I can rock him back to sleep easily.

2) A baby carrier:

I have a mei-tai style carrier, and have a hand-me down Moby wrap - both are great.  But, my all-time favorite is the new native carrier.  It it small when folded so easy to take along.  Also, it is so simple to put on - I can do it standing in a parking lot when we run into a store. I have used it with all four of my children and still love it.

3) Burp management:

I ended up supplementing feeding with some formula.  I think that has made burp (spit-up) management even more important!  First, I use simethicone drops.  If I forget for a day, I notice a marked increase in spit-up and discomfort. I also have been loving these adorable burp cloths, by aden and anais.  Since there is constantly one on my shoulder, I'm glad they are cute!

4) A snap-n-go:

Its obvious, right?  It carries the car seat so you don't have to wake a sleeping baby.

5) A play-mat:

By 4 or 5 weeks, a happy alert baby enjoys this!  It is a great 'activity' between feeding, diapering, and sleeping.

6) A theory:

I'm pretty sure if I met the authors of this book, On Becoming Babywise, we would not be friends.  I have a sneaking suspicion we don't agree about politics (I'm super liberal and I get the sense they are...um...not). However, this book underlies my understanding of how to manage a baby's schedule.  Seriously, it works.  Eat, awake, sleep. It seems simple and it really makes for a happier baby.

7) An infant scale:

For a nursing mother, knowing whether or not your baby is gaining weight can be the difference a sense of success, or a constant worry.  I rented an infant scale and it gave me the info I needed to stop worrying.

8) Noise Machines:

At night, we use the Marpac sound machine in our room.  That way, every little noise doesn't disturb George.  During the day, if George is snoozing in a noisy room, I use the sleep sheep.  It seems to enable him to sleep amid the bustle!

I'll keep adding to the list as I think of things!

No comments:

Post a Comment