Friday, June 22, 2012

Birth Decisions - this post might be upsetting

I have to share this video. If you don't want to watch something about male infant circumcision, don't click the link.


But if you are willing to consider the point of view that the surgery is harmful and wrong, you will find this lecture interesting.


I cannot understand why people are totally outraged at the idea of female genital mutilation, but completely numb to the common practice in this country of male genital mutilation.

One of the most thought provoking things about this to me is that the clinical and detached person performing the surgery in the short clip included in the lecture, is likely the same person who decided whether or not that baby's mother (and many other women), required an episiotomy, stitches, or a c-section during her birth process. When I watch that clip, I do not think, "Boy, that's the guy I want making decisions about my genitals!"

No comments:

Post a Comment