Monday, December 19, 2011

The "M" Word

It seems to me that people get uncomfortable when I talk about things as being 'moral' i.e.: a moral responsibility, or a moral commitment. However it is one of my deeply held beliefs (yeah, it seems I have a lot of those) that when something you are engaged in has the power to elevate you, and help you access your relationship to the Universal, it is a moral activity.

So, marriage is clearly a moral activity. So is sex, and so is parenting. Actually, so is taking good care of your physical self. If we abandon any of these things, we walk away from our true being. Being your true self is clearly a moral activity.

So to me, in order to engage in parenting to the fullest extent of the obligation, I have to be able to answer some basic questions about the moral aspect of the job. Questions like:

1) what are the moral lessons being taught in my house
2) what is the language being used to discuss moral issues
3) how am I engaging my children in their moral development

The answers are not always easy to come up with, but grappling with the questions is an obligation I owe my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment