Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Being Joyful

I think the worst thing I could hear from my kids when they look back on my mothering is that they remember me as *joyless*. I want them to feel and know that I am grateful for their presence in my life, and for the freedom I have to raise them in health and safety.  The best way to share that with them is to let them see that I get joy from being here with them.

So maybe dishes lie and wait for me, laundry is knee deep, and my phone is vibrating with irritation. I'd rather do this: roll on the floor laughing with the baby, read to the 6 year old, wrestle the cranky 11 year old until she laughs, give the 8 year old a patient ear as she recounts an entire chapter of her book to me.  I won't brush them off as if they are at the bottom of my to-do list.  Rather I will decadently act as though I have nothing better to do than indulge in spending time with them.  And, when I think about what really matters the truth is there is nothing better to do than this.


No comments:

Post a Comment