Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Sometimes it falls apart

I love this line from Erin McKeowen: "All that I supposed I held has come to be untied." What a great image.

Luckily, nothing has happened in my adult life that is truly destructive.  However, there are those times when it all seems to be going off the rails.

Today is a great example.  My husband is away.  His car broke down on his trip.  I go out to take my oldest to her before school activity and my car is dead.  It does not respond to being jumped.  So I rent a car in order, most importantly, to get the baby to his 11 am doctors appointment.  I get there and it's, "Sorry Mrs. C, you're appointment was at 9 and we can't see you today." What a mess.  And the underlying issues that bubble-up: can we afford to fix both cars?  can we afford to replace them?  if my car breaks down, NO ONE can help me move my FOUR kids around...what will I do??

Believe me, it was one of those mornings that could make you cry.

So as I'm driving back from the appointment, wondering how the heck I messed up the appointment time AGAIN (I've missed TWO other Doctor's appointments in the past 6 months), I review the morning in my head.  What is the MESSAGE!!??

Then I realize it.  My sister slept over to give me a hand while my husband was away.  She drove me to get the rental car.  And, as I was worrying about having to wake the baby from his morning nap, a dear old friend texted, "I'm in your neighborhood, wanna visit?" And she stayed with the monitor so the baby could finish his nap.  My sweet husband, from his business trip, had the mechanic pick up my broken car.  And the guy at the rental agency was super friendly!  Actually, so was the receptionist at the doctors office.

So this is my take-away from this crappy morning (that started at 5:45 am with the baby crying) - the universe reminded me today that I am lucky and supported by beloved people.  What a blessing. Really, everything was a minor inconvenience in comparison to the gift of people who are so kind and loving.

And here I am in my warm cozy house, bouncing my baby on my knee, and I feel really really grateful.  Thank you sister, friend and husband, for reminding me how incredibly lucky I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment