Saturday, July 23, 2011

Traveling 'chart' - points for positive participation:

Usually, as a way of helping the kids visualize some of the behaviors they need to work on, we use a chart. But, when traveling (as we do a lot in the summer), routines are different and 'challenge behaviors' are not the same. For instance, during the school year, 'complete homework before bed' might be a challenge behavior.

When traveling, I really need to foster a sense of group purpose and responsibility. So this summer we are using a point system. Each time a child does a 'job' when asked, cheerfully, he or she gets a point. If I have to ask three times, you can't get a point for it. Also, if you break rules or work against the group, you can lose a point. When you get points that equal double your age in years, you get a prize.

This has worked BRILLIANTLY. The kids have packed their own bags, carried the bags to the car, helped clear dishes and sweep after dinner at their great-aunt's house, and myriad other fantastic behaviors. And, they have done them cheerfully.

It is my belief that I cannot change their personalities, and I would never try to. It is also my belief that part of my job is to teach them how to function in a group. The point system is working superbly for us this summer!

4 comments:

  1. I love how "portable" this system is, and how honest the kids have been in keeping track of their points. There's so much shared excitement when somebody gets a prize. It's really fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea!!! What does your chart look like? Do you track on paper or on the phone (a device)? Do you arbitrarily assign tasks on the fly or are they pre-planned? I love this idea, and more info would really help me implement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see a picture of your chart as well...I think it sounds like a great idea. My kids love sticker charts (for potty training) so I think this might work for our family too. Thanks for the idea and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the traveling point system, we do not use a printed chart. I keep track of the 4-year-old's points, and the older two keep track of their own. I say, "That's a point" and they respond with their current number of points. Tasks are assigned on the fly but are consistently clearing the table, loading and unloading dishes, vacuuming, returning items to their proper room etc. There can also be points earned at times when I know managing behavior is particularly challenging. For example, if we have to run an errand after camp when people are tired. I might say in the parking lot, "This will be a quick errand. We are here to get eggs, milk and apples. Each person gets a point for remembering one item and making sure that item gets into the cart."

    ReplyDelete